Wednesday, September 18, 2013

In the Mists of My Mind ~ Part 2 of 3





     Around the time of the anniversary of my husband's death was the worst part of the entire year for me.  I went a little crazy.  I didn't drink, do drugs, or go off and do insane things like bungee jump or jump out of airplanes, but I got on dating web sites and ... God alone knows why I got on those sites.  Someone told my daughter it was because I was lonely.  And I was, desperately lonely.  The truth is, no one could fill that void but my Robert.  However,  I told myself, and anyone that would listen that I was doing good; because I was getting on with my life not drowning in sorrow or hiding under the covers in my bedroom.  Little did I know, I was still hiding.  I simply didn't know it until recently. 

     About a month after the anniversary of Robert's death, I began to come back to the land of the living.  While there is still a deep and gaping void which my husband filled for nearly 30 years, I began to feel joy and laughter, and I began wanting to spend time with my children instead of selling the house we had purchased 25 and a half years earlier and move to somewhere no one knew me and call my children "when" I wanted to call them.  That was weird, I love my children with all my heart and have always treasured and breathed in every moment I have been blessed to share with them; the good, the bad, and the ugly!  But I had wanted to run away from them for over a year.

     I slowly came awake to life again.  I probably began to act a little more normal than I had been over the last year or so.  I'm nutty to start with, so who really knows. 

     I attend an annual writing conference once a year, in my home state of Oklahoma called Oklahoma Writers Incorporated, Inc. (OWFI).  It was when I unexpectedly attended this year that  I really began to come alive.  Until then, I had been existing.  I hadn't wanted to go, but God got in the mix and got me there this year against my decision not to attend..  I'm thankful that He did now.  At the time I kept thinking "why did I come.  I don't want to be here."  I never thought I would think again.  Live again.  Write again.  But that weekend I met new friends, as you always do at these things; I listened to the seminars I attended and listened to the speakers; and I took photos.  Life began to creep back into my bones, my veins, my blood, my heart. 

     Following the OWFI Conference, slowly over time, I would have a thought, then the idea for a poem.  I slowly began to read again.  I stopped playing games on my computer and began to write down how I was feeling, write down ideas for stories for this blog, became creative again.   


~ To be continued ~

 

4 comments:

  1. You're so right about that God of ours, Tawnya - He can be a bit pushy, but He seems to know what He's doing! I'm so glad you listened and came to OWFI this year. I'm also glad that your healing has begun - it's a long road and you can't expect more of yourself than to take one step at a time. Looking forward to Part 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shel. God is pushy, but He knows what is best for us, even when we can't see it at the time.

      Delete