Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Next Step - The First POEM

This blog is an incredible opportunity for me to share my poetry and writing with (others) you.  I have invited you to come along on a journey of discovery and creativity. Part of this blog is about discovering who I am after almost 30 years with my late husband and suddenly finding myself alone and hurting after losing him out of the blue last year. It took over a year after his burial to come out of the shock and begin to feel life again. To think again. To read again. To write again. I made myself get out of bed and function so I thought I was doing great. It wasn't until the unbearable pain I faced on the anniversary of  his death and a few months passed that I began to actually live again, not just function. So this blog is about discovering who I am without my husband, love and mate.

Another part of my blog is facing aging with grace and humor. I am 53 years old. That number does not bother me as it does some women. This is because God brought me through a childhood of violence, abuse, and the knowledge of not being loved or protected by those who are supposed to love and protect their children to reach this amazing beginning of life. Living to be this age is a miracle and a blessing to me. I must say the years don't bother me; what bothers me is the fact my body has decided to, not only, quit, hiccup, and give me problems, but to change. What was firm is soft. What could be counted on has become dysfunctional. What was headed north is now headed south. (Now I do have a humorous poem on that, but not today.) Growing up in an age where you didn't talk about anything, I have been absolutely shocked to feel and see how my body is changing and not necessarily for the more positive. This part of aging is an education and a revelation to me. I don't want to be grumpy and dopey now. I would rather be happy and joyful and full of grace.

I am in a learning curve and excited to see where this journey will take me. Do I blog Monday through Friday or every other day? Will I share a thought once, or twice a week? Will I share a poem once, or twice, a week? How will this blog play out? Will I find my rhythm, my pattern, my niche'? I won't fail because I am not going to give up. This is a road on my journey to being a published and successful author.  I can't wait to see what happens. I hope you will go on this journey of discovery with me.
 

       Resting in God's
       Peaceful Haven
 
The day has been fraught
   with tension and stress.
My body is weary.
   My mind is a mess.
I feel worn out and
   weak in the knees.
My heart seeks quiet.
   My soul seeks peace.
I settle myself in a
   comfortable chair.
Bowing my head I
   seek God in prayer.
I have no petition, no
   concern or request.
I ask only He touch me
   with Christ's gentleness.
I invite the Holy Spirit
   to reign down on me
To renew my spirit and
   grant me God's peace.
I invite Jesus in to
   share this time.
I rest in His presence
   and drink of His wine.
I have been emptied by
   the stress of the day
But God gives me strength
   as I quietly pray.
With compassion and grace
   God fills my cup.
He touches my soul
   and fills me with love.
In this precious moment
   I sit at God's throne.
Resting in His arms.
   I don't walk alone.
When my cup has been filled
   and my spirit revived;
When I feel renewed,
   refreshed and alive;
When I am relaxed and
   at peace once again
And God's Holy Spirit
   has soothed from within,
Then I give thanks
   to God up above
for His forgiveness,
   compassion, and love.

2 comments: